If you like the photographs you see here why not check out my website. Click on the AGB Photography link above.

Sunday 28 April 2019

27th April

Hello and welcome to another episode of Spring Watch...………..

That's what it's starting to feel like, a duckpond version of the tv series, it seems that almost every visit there's something going on. Todays news sees the arrival of seven moorhen chicks. I was watching Mrs Swan turning her eggs when I detected a new squeaking noise and caught movement out of the corner of my eye.
Over on a rock by the island in the middle of the higher duckpond, I spied one of the female moorhens and in front of her was a baby moorhen, that photograph is my blip for today, 27th April. Dad was nearby and kept bringing food to them.
After a short while mum got up and moved to a spot up on the edge of the other side of the island, giving me the opportunity to count four chicks. Another move by mum deeper into the island leaving the chicks with dad allowed me a chance for a full count, seven chicks, before mum returned gathered the brood together and settled down again.

Below is a selection of some of the other photos I took of the moorhen family.





Elsewhere the swans are doing good, while Mrs Swan was tending the nest and eggs Mr was down in the stream behind the nest. Mummy and Daddy duckling were on the water shepherding their brood around the pond.
Laying flat out on the ground got me this photo of one of the ducklings, along with some strange looks and a wet sleeve (I was leaning over the edge of the pond).

 Whilst one of the other adult males took flight giving me the chance to grab this shot as he came back in to land.

No comments:

Post a Comment